Well howdy partner! I sure am glad you stopped by. I’m a bit late to the party, but I think I’ve spent just enough time in 2021 to be able to reflect on the year that came before. And boy howdy, was it a year. My posts went from happy happy happy to crappy crappy crappy real, real fast. Half of the things I was looking forward to in 2021 sunk faster than a lead balloon…or like a regular balloon, full of human-lung air and not helium, I suppose.
Let’s talk about the elephant in the room, because this post is a time capsule whether I like it or not: COVID 19. 2020 saw a global pandemic ravage the world, and a lot of things changed. Lots of magazines were hit hard by it, and opportunities for writers to share their work were lost. Many people lost their jobs. Many people lost their lives. I myself was lucky. I didn’t lose anyone, I didn’t catch the virus, and I didn’t lose my job. I’m an essential worker, in fact, so I was working quite a lot during this year. I had two scares, though, four long weeks where I was forced to stay in my home, wondering if I was sick with this disease or not. Forced to stay in my home and watch the people around me show me just how selfish they really were. My goddamn premier broke the restrictions he enforced on the rest of us, for god sakes, so who could expect the little guys to want to protect each other? But still, I saw a change in the value of creativity. People learned to value their time, value the simple things, and value each other. I want this to be over as soon as possible. Even now, January 2021, we are still dealing with the virus, and I’ve had it up to here. However…in reflecting, things weren’t all bad. That’s really the best I can say about it.
While some things changed for the worse, some, most notably on here, changed for the better. The banners I started the year with? Hideous. Disgusting. At least quarantine gave me the opportunity (and time) to improve my graphic design skillz. I also started making different kinds of content, and good content too, at that. Lots changed. I have TikTok now. That’s pretty cool.
Anyways, I want to look back at the bests of the year, my own progression as a writer and a creator, and what things are going to look like going forward. You might notice that the site looks different. That’s not the only change, but we’ll get to that soon.
Without further ado…let’s begin.
Kipo and the Age of the Wonderbeasts
- I haven’t seen Season 2 yet (thanks university) but this is still one of my favourite things I’ve watched this year
- It has everything I like.
- Surreal sci-fi universe? Check.
- Fantastic representation? Check.
- Fun music? Check.
- Great action? Check.
- Lovable characters? Check.
- Cats? Check, check, check.
- Seriously. Go watch this show.
- This is glorious anime cheese and I love every minute of it
- The power system? Nonsensical. Every line of dialogue? Delivered with utter bombastic enthusiasm. The action? 80’s anime awesomeness.
- It wasn’t deep, but it was a great distraction from everything else that was going on in my life, and for that I hold this show in high regard.
RuPaul’s Drag Race: All Stars 5
- I love all things Drag Race. All things. I adore it. This show is incredible. It has got me through so many hard times and I make everyone I know watch it.
- This year brought us All Stars Season 5, which to me was the All Stars season to end all All Stars seasons. Some of my favourite contestants of all time returned, and the season was full of drama and fun challenges. There was redemption. There was fighting. There were old favourites and new friends. It was truly a season of All Stars.
- I feel bad for the winner, as they would not have had as many opportunities due to COVID that previous seasons would have offered, but I am still happy with the season and I think the top 5 was one of the best yet.
Hunter x Hunter Movies
- I finished Hunter x Hunter this year. Both versions, the 2011 anime and the 1999 anime. I love them both, though I like the 2011 a little better.
- I haven’t seen the 1999 OVAs yet, because I’m trying to find dubbed versions and I dislike subs, but I did watch both of the Hunter x Hunter movies based on the 2011 anime, Phantom Rouge and The Last Mission
- Phantom Rouge is my favourite, because it’s a Kurapika-centric story and I love my angsty red-eyed boy. I also loved the little emotional moments with Gon and Killua as well.
- I enjoyed seeing a little more of the Kurta as well.
- The Last Mission is also great. I love the action and the new power set and the score and everything. They’re both really good, but you have to watch the show to know what’s going on.
Imager by L. E. Modesitt
- Imager is my favourite book I read this year.
- Not that that’s saying much, because I didn’t read as much as I wanted to this year, but this was still my favourite out of all the books I read
- My partner recommended it to me, and I’m very glad he did.
- Read my full review for more!
Our Land was A Forest by Kayano Shigeru
- I almost didn’t include this one, because I read it for school, but it was so good I couldn’t not include it
- It’s a memoir from Kayano Shigeru, who is a member of the Ainu nation of Japan (Japan’s Indigenous people) and the first major politician from their people
- His life is very interesting, as are his thoughts on his people. Many people don’t know about the Ainu, their culture or their struggles, and this book is a good place to start to learn about this awesome group of people
Joey the Otter
Cute otter livestream. ‘Nuff said.
- Goddamn Transformers fanfiction. Since the beginning of the goddamn year I’ve been working on this shit.
- And it’s still going.
- I am grateful, though. People enjoy the fic. That’s the only reason I’ve been working so hard on it. They comment nice things, they ask for more, and they are patient and kind. It’s nice to have that. I want to finish the fic, not just so I don’t have to do it anymore, but so the audience can see the story they’ve been supporting come to a conclusion.
- Finished Winter Prince
- I got the idea for this novel from a dream I had in high school…which should tell you how long I’ve been working on it
- I just finished the first draft. There is still more work to do. It won’t end until it is published, but I am happy to have something to work on, and a full draft to work with
- Finished Pet Project…after three tries, and then decided to hard reboot it so it’s back to not being done
- Started as a fluffy romance, then as a drama, and now it’s a dark academia horror/fantasy
- That’s just where we’re at right now
- The world building is done, and then soon I will start work on it, but it’s just kind of funny to see how things have progressed
- 25 Poems in one month
- Decided to do this after taking a social media course
- Stay tuned for more on this process, coming later this month
- Went back to school
- Moving back to undergraduate school from grad school hurt my pride, but now that I’m in the full swing of my academics I’m feeling a bit better
- I have to wait until February until I find out if I got into the undergrad program I applied for, but for now I’m enjoying the process of school, despite my massive anxiety
- Still struggling through rejections
- I’m hoping that once COVID is over I can get back into submitting
- Looking back, I struggled a lot with blogging. It was a busy year, and a depressing year at that, and I didn’t always do what I said I would. And for that, I’m sorry.
- This year, this are going to look a little bit different around here.
- Monthly book reviews are going away. I don’t have enough time to read due to school, so it’ll happen when it happens
- I want to move to more short little non-fiction things rather than blog posts. I have a poll as to what to keep, but as it stands I want to move into more deep dives and analysis and writing related stuff. For now.
- Also, check out the poll below: I want to know if I should continue with certain types of content or not, and I want some input from my audience.
- Happy New Year, everyone. I’m excited for another year of creating content, writing, and making connections with all you lovely folkx out there. I hope 2021 is already treating you well, and I hope it only gets better from here.
So, how has your 2021 been so far? Let me know down below!